Saturday, February 21, 2009

A bit of a girlie day in Paradise

Yesterday was a day off from snorkelling and diving and the four of us had a lovely brunch at the small village of Holualoa that lays 1,400 feet in elevation above Kailua-Kona on the west-facing slopes of the currently dormant shield volcano Hualalai. Holualoa is a sleepy village with a few interesting art galleries and shops. Our hosts had recommended we try a very lovely cafe - the Holuakoa Gardens - and the food was amazing - yet another wonderful meal here.

While Marc headed off to drop in on the local marine supply places to meet up with old acquaintances from when he worked here, we three girls headed off for a little treat of our own - pedicures.

In the past I'd always avoided getting a pedicure as I am extremely ticklish, especially where my feet are concerned, so this was going to be quite the breakthrough. However I figured I deserved some pampering too!

I anticipated us having to wait as we didn't have appointments however we were pleasantly surprised as the shop's attendants were able to take us almost as soon as we walked through the door. We'd scoped out this particular shop the evening before and it was very clean and welcoming. Sam and Chelsea got a headstart on me while my girl was still getting set up after finishing with her prior customer. Soon we all were relaxing in the wonderful massage chairs while our feet were being pampered to the extreme.

And then I was about to be put to the test - it was my turn for the "sanding" of the feet! I'd earlier watched as the bottoms, and especially the heel areas, of Sam and Chelsea's feet were scrubbed with some sort of abrasize pad in order to rid the feet of any rough spots. I figured that this was my moment of truth as that treatment looked as though it could set off a bout of ticklishness - and OMIGOD it did! I almost went through the roof and laughed and squealed like some sort of idiot. It did help thought that my attendant started giggling right along with me and she explained that she has the same reaction.

Once the tickle torture was through an absolutely wonderful leg and foot massage followed (for some reason I was totally relaxed throughout and no further tickles occurred). Eventually we watched as the staff expertly swirled on the nail polishes that we'd chosen and the girls had beautiful Hawaiian flowers painted on their big toes. I'd opted for a little more glamourous treatment - rhinestones! (Actually made me wish I had some lovely girlie sandals to put on afterward, not my stolid New Balance sandals!!)

Afterwards we met up with Marc and he and I got tattoos . . .

1 comment:

Mel said...

Oh You got tattooed! I must say, I am jealous!!!! Sounds like you are all having a great time. :) Enjoy it!

~A