Monday, August 3, 2009

And Life goes on . . .

It's been extremely busy around our household over the past few months. Work has been, well, much too busy and I wonder sometimes how long I can keep trying to take care of the number of clients I have. Yet another summer is flying by and another summer has seen no movement towards getting back into some form of gardening other than the occasional required pruning of various thorny branches (mainly from the neighbour's blackberry shrubs) that might injure a thin-skinned whippet blasting by.

We've had quite the heat wave here in SW BC this year. And humid. I grew up in SW Ontario where one lived in a perpetual state of standing sweat except when inside in a too air conditioned office/shopping mall. In the past 28 yrs since I relocated to the west, I have rarely agreed with anyone when they've commented on the startling humidity in the Vancouver area. Maybe a total of 3 times prior to this year did I acknowledge, that yes, today, it is indeed something resembling humid. This year has been different. Starting with a wonderful electrical storm a week ago this past Saturday, this area actually definitely was humid for about 4 days. And the heat . . .

Well the heat has been ugly. We typically experience a moderate climate - cool, wet winters and comfortable warm summers. This past winter we had much more snowy weather than usual and now this summer we've had quite an extended dry spell and lately way too much heat.

I don't like the heat, never did, never will. Don't get me wrong - I do like my warm weather to be T-shirt/shorts weather - most definitely. But I don't like my warm weather to beat me up so badly where I'm languishing about completely unable to function, cringing at the thought of getting dressed after my morning shower, and trying to figure out the best ways to keep the heat out of the house! On Thursday I actually abandoned any attempts to continue working and I headed off for a one o'clock matinee showing of the latest Harry Potter movie.

The forecast for the upcoming week looks much nicer at present - and I have an awful lot of work I really need to get through once and for all. Just might have to dive into it today even tho' it's a holiday today. Also I'm thinking that even with the amount of work perhaps one movie one afternoon per week might be a nice little break - could become a good work week tradition!

No comments: