Thursday, January 29, 2009

I was at a conference


I spent the past few days in downtown Vancouver for the annual mining/mineral exploration conference held at the Westin Bayshore. It is always a great time for meeting up with old friends and colleagues, and to hear the latest pertaining to things in our industry including a chance for the government regulatory boards to make presentations on upcoming changes to their systems. This year it was even more special for me as, due to the current economic conditions, I did not attend the November conference in Yellowknife, I almost never go to the gigantic Toronto conference in March, and I likely won't attend the Nunavut Mining Symposium held in Iqaluit (and I will really regret missing the opportunity to buy the amazing Inuit carvings and other artwork that is available everywhere!).

This year I made the decision to book a hotel room. Last year I missed a few important meetings/information sessions at the Vancouver conference due to an ill-timed snowfall and I was stuck at home for the first two days. I decided to stay at the Marriott Pinnacle - a short walk from the main conference - and it turned out that several of my meeting obligations were either held right at the Marriott or just across the street.

It was a lovely few days - a chance to relax (sort of!), get some intensive work performed and I gained very useful information that will serve me well in my work. The highlight was Wednesday's fabulous information session hosted by the Nunavut Water Board. I also met up with several people that I have not seen in years and with some of my best friends.

I also can't believe the excellent sushi that I had, and it's not like there isn't a plethora of great sushi places in this area. Ate at two wonderful sushi restaurants, two nights in a row, and with the best company on both evenings!

Today I came very close to popping into the Vancouver Tiffany's (yes, that Tiffany's!) to buy something affordable in silver. Sanity reigned however and I practiced some restraint for a change! Also it just wouldn't have been the same without Denise and Allison along for the experience!

Maybe the next time I happen to be in Vancouver I'll just have to drop in and make a wee purchase!

1 comment:

Jenn And The City said...

Sushi - Jealous. Becca wants something pretty from Tiffanys too, you know....